Thursday, February 26, 2015

A place of escape

There is a scene in The Lion King, where Mufasa and Simba are overlooking a beautiful landscape. This scene has been used and misused world over to express a variety of emotions. To me, that view and looking at it is what my heart yearns for now, and time and time again.
There is a gentle breeze and my hair finds freedom in the wind. I breathe in freshness and a sense of life. I see the savannah grasslands for miles on end, lone trees scatter the land beyond, and even further - at the end of everything - the distinct, crisp horizon.

It is a pleasant day. The African sun shines gently on my arms and then pleasantly moves behind the almost grey (is it almost white?) clouds. It is weather that appeals - not hot and stark, not cold and bereft, but just pleasant.

There is a wholesome quietness around me. It awakens my senses. I can smell the rain soaked mud from yonder. I see the golden light fall between the shadows of the blades of dancing grass. I hear the lilting melodies of birds - some that I can see, some lost in the surrounding fauna. A stark vulnerability and humility exudes from me as I stand here alone - exposing my soul to the universe.

And then I see it. At first it is just an inconsequential movement. My eyes anticipate the flicker of a dark tail, my heart beat has picked up in excitement. Possibility is turning into a silhouette and has gradually formed an existence. She is beautiful: A graceful yellow matching the play of light on the wheat-like carpet of savannah. I can see her stride confidently, queen of camouflage; queen of the savannah; queen of everywhere. She lifts her head now and looks about her. The air brings her news of my presence. She turns slowly and sits back on her haunches. Her golden eyes scanning her surroundings, stopping at me for a few minutes, capturing my soul with her gaze and then she is gone: into the grass, and far beyond my sight: from lioness to a shadow, to movement, to a flickering, to quiet, and an imprinted memory.

Around me the wind blows on, the birds sing, things I cannot see live on. The sun plays with the clouds and I feel the tears pour down my face, cleansing the anguish in my heart, purging the daily worries in my mind. The cares have vanished with my tears, and laughter gurgles out of me. I smile, content. This is my moment of peace and acceptance. It is my place of complete escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment