Monday, December 09, 2013

Football Fever - The early symptoms

Football is the most exciting sport on earth. That is a fact, and not up for debate. Anyone who would even think about debating this point, know now that this post is probably not something you can relate to.

I've grown up with football and sheer football mania is something that has oozed into my being and will not ooze out. Truth be told, I watched a lot more football when I was in high school - I was a regular premier league addict and even more of a Brasileiro série A fan.

As I've passed through uni, and progressed into the realm of the working world, the time I spend watching football games on TV has reduced dramatically, so has the inclination. I still have a good idea though, of what is the latest in the world of the EPL and the Champions League (I mean who wouldn't have an idea with all the accessibility to this information, promotions and hype!) and love watching a game whenever I can.

The one thing that hasn't changed is my addiction and dedication (I use this word on purpose), in watching the Football World Cup! There is absolutely no event (Apart from the Olympics, I suppose) that comes close to the excitement of this sporting event.

Next year is going to be phenomenal. The world cup comes home, to Brazil. South American football, without doubt, has its own flavour and magic - fancy footwork, star players, passionate crowds and a sheer love for the game, set to the background of football manic countries, promises to have a lasting impression! Can anyone ask for more?

As it stands, the final groups were announced over the weekend and this is going to be another interesting world cup. We have England and Italy facing off, France pretty much being in an easy group, and Argentina and Brazil having stiff challenges, at the early stages. It will also be interesting to see how the "minnows" perform.

All in all, the journey is gaining pace and the fun begins... (minus the tension, for now). I can't wait for Brazil 2014!!! Whoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment