Thursday, December 05, 2013

Little Red.... And Goodbye

Little Red is (I suppose I should say, was) not your typical fairytale girl dressed in a red riding hood, off to meet her grandmother. Little Red, believe it or not, has never met a wolf (at least, not as long as I have known her)

Over the last two years, Little Red has been a big part of my life. In fact, we went almost everywhere together. It all began with my growing frustration and quotidian weariness with commuting using matatus (for those who are unfamiliar with the term matatu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matatu) and buses. This together with a darling family resulted in my hook-up, so to speak, with Little Red.

When I first saw Little Red, I was still awed and unsure about our meeting. She did look just about right, though. Fate bound us and I took my first, little steps into a whole new lifestyle. Little Red - my new red colour Toyota Raum, took me to work and back, as never before. I would cautiously and nervously drive down Mombasa Road and avoid all the scary highway turns, matatu infested roads and traffic-frenzied roundabouts. The quieter, albeit pot-hole prone roads were better for us.



Slowly, Little Red and I got to know each other better (And yes, Little Red was definitely a she. Her love to get ripping, her absolute dislike and reaction to stupid drivers and her taste of destinations made it pretty obvious!) With every journey we grew more confident with each other. And soon, I was no longer dreading the roads, but enjoying my time driving around, cursing in traffic and singing my favourite songs out loud.

Little Red was many a time, my refuge. I would laugh with her and cry tears with her. Some days, it would be time spent with her that inspired me with brain waves, ideas and beautiful thoughts. I shared my heart breaks with Little Red, and my happy thoughts too. Best of all, I shared cheeky, fun moments with her. Like the time she purposefully followed a car, just because it looked good! Or, the first time I drove myself to a dinner party - how much fun!

Little Red did pull some crazy stunts: there was the time she decided that she was sick of her front wheel and went ahead and burst! Poor appa (dad, in Tamil) was in the car and had to dictatorially tell Little Red to get a grip! I think she did learn her lesson. She was off in ICU for nearly a month and that seemed to have curbed her temper and when she was back on the road, you could tell that she had been injured. Soon, she was back to her wily, old self and was busy taking me and friends out on memorable errands, parties and even farewells.

Little Red had a personality. With appa she was super dainty and well-behaved. With Shalini, my sister, she was a regular speedy Gonzales and with me she was just her usual, crazy self.

Once, on a trip to the airport, some crazy dude decided to mess with her and gave her a good knock out! Out cold again, Little Red recovered relatively fast from her injuries, but was definitely starting to show signs of ageing! That certainly didn't knock the fun out of her and Little Red and I have continued being best of pals, driving new, scenic routes together and daring just a little more every day!

Sadly, I had to let her go! Little Red was ready. She wanted some R&R. She was sad to go, but happy to get her goodbye's done quick and easy! I said bye to Little Red today - my first car! I can't help loving my first car, my Little Red - here's wishing her a lovely journey ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment