Friday, June 13, 2014

And it is here!

A few months ago, I wrote about the growing excitement of the world cup! (Football Fever)

That excitement has reached its climax and we are at the brink of another round of the greatest sporting event on planet earth.

And the excitement has hit home. General conversations around me have gradually, but persistently, changed from everything to simply Brazil 2014. Who will win? Who won't? Who do you support? When is the first game?

Even if the conversation is between people you do not know, there is an unyielding curiosity to find out who else is supporting your team, who isn’t, who can be incredible enough to not care…why, where, how?

One way or the other, world cup excitement gets under your skin. I always tell myself that the next world cup, I will remain calm and watch with a neutral mind set – may the best man (or men) win. Every four years, I realise how futile that is. 

Futile because I love the thrill, the anxiety, the endless rush of excitement when the lucky referee blows that unchangeable first whistle. This is it! How humdrum and dull if I couldn’t pick a side, and run with them, cry out in joyous passion when they score a goal, or weep in misery if they lose! Dreary!(but probably much better for my health!)

I am sure being a fan of any powerhouse team is daunting – there will be catcalls, doubting friends, teasing maniacs, bets lost, drinking sprees ending in tears or jeers! It is a tough call for fans. Being a Brazil fan is even more daunting. As five time champions the pressure on the team and fans alike is sizzling! But a Brazil fan I am! And looking forward to another round of our football passion!!!!

So, let's all try and keep calm and watch the world cup 2014! And go Brazzzzzziiiilllllllll!!!!!!

1 comment: