Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Just a thought

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Charles Bukowski's The Perks of Being a Wallflower, a few months ago. I am not sure if the story on its own would appeal to me, but the writing and flow of the book are simply stunning; many of the quotes stuck with me (If not verbatim, their meaning and sense are still very vivid in my mind)

" I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have. Good and bad." Charles Bukowski, The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

The gist of this quote keeps popping in and out of my brain, and has been preoccupying a lot of my thoughts over the last day or so. I love it and at this moment in time feel that it is so relevant to my life. It captures things perfectly - every one has problems and I am sure people out there are going through things that are a lot worse on the problem meter than my issues...but right now, to me, my daily stresses are significant and are no more or no less important than anyone else's. I just love the way C. Bukowski has said so much in such a simple way....

No comments:

Post a Comment