Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Osaka's win, and trying to catch up

Well then, Osaka vs Kerber; What a match! And what a contradictory scoreline. This match played out only half as I imagined it. I expected it to be a cracker if Osaka showed up all guns blazing. Boy, did she do that. I think she will make it far in the future of tennis. Her winners made you grin ear to ear. The bit that didn't happen as I had expected was Angelique Kerber playing a non attacking, defence only game. While it is true that she plays a great defensive game, she can make some amazing shots - very few of which showed up on court yesterday. So, once again - the women's game gets more and more open, competitive and intense - the world number one and two are out of contention, with that the defending champion is out as well. What more drama will be served up? I suppose like the rest of the world, I must wait and watch.

As I write this, I am busy trying to catch up on the other scores & results. As hoped for Ostapenko got through to the second round in her usual topsy-turvy way. Nadal pulled off a rapid 2nd and 3rd set to see of his opponent with style. Whoa, wait a second - a 5 setter first round for Fed? I cant believe sleep deprived me of watching that match. It looks like it was fun, fun fun! At the end though - Fed is through, and the excitement levels are obviously getting higher.

Thinking about it - seems to me that in the men's draw the top 10 seeds make everything more exciting - I mean the fact that Djo, Murray, Wawrinka are out does dull things a bit - if Nadal or Fed were to lose in the early stages, something would be off. In the women's game, as the high seeds fall everything seems to get more exciting...

On that note, cant wait for some of the games today: Babos vs Sharapova, Wozniaki vs Makarova, Millman vs Kyrgios, Baroni vs Navarro, Verdasco vs Pospisil are just a few of the interesting match ups....

Happy tennis day, y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment