Friday, September 08, 2017

A new women's US Open Champ

Sloane Stephens beat Venus Williams 6-1, 0-6, 7-5 to make her debut at a grand slam final. She will be joined by Madison Keys who convincingly beat Coco Vandeweghe 6-1, 6-2. 

We are guaranteed, then, of a new women's US Open champion. This is a bit exciting, but could also mean that the final's will be a dull game filled with nerves. I will wait and watch. 

This morning, at 3:30 am I found myself wide awake. It was far too cold, but thanks to the commentary from the Guardian I was able to follow the entire game. I find that the guardian has some of the best blog coverage for live tennis action. I discovered them only a few years back and have never looked back. Moving onto the match. How topsy turvy were those two first sets? It really makes you wonder if it was nerves, or if the ladies were just sleepy! But the final set was fantastic. One twitter message said that this was Sloane's biggest win. I would agree - considering that she won to make it to a final, but I cannot forget the match she played against Serena where she won - I think any win over Serena can be considered the biggest win of a tennis career 😉

And then there was Coco Vandeweghe vs Madison Keys. I prefer calling it the Madison Keys vs Lady who didn't show up match. Madison was on top of this one from start to finish - as you can read from here. The match was surprisingly one sided, with Coco really struggling to do well with her service games. Is it just me, or do others also feel frustrated when a player beats the big names and then just fizzle out in the next game?

In other news, I am happy to find that there was a few other people who agreed with me that the commentating for the women's games has been a bit too biased, and frankly tedious.. for the games I watched, I tended to turn down the volume especially when they went on and an and on and on and on and on about the new American guard. Teehee.. I think we get it, the ladies are playing great....

That aside, can't wait for the men's semi finals!


No comments:

Post a Comment