Monday, July 14, 2014

For the love of the game

13th July 2014. I didn't think that yesterday would find me watching the world cup final, especially without Brazil playing in it. It has been a week since the heart-breaking loss the Seleção had. And yes, they lost again at the 3rd place play-off! By then, I think there was hardly any room left to feel worse. 

I had no plans to watch the final. The funny thing is that both Argentina and Germany are teams that I like and support. In fact I even placed bets on them. In comparison with my love for Brazil and the Seleção though, the love I have for the two finalists is almost insignificant. I was also not prepared for any further football heartbreak. 

Football is football though, and I found myself slightly excited at the prospect of a final with Messi & yes, the Germans. And so I found myself watching at the edge of my seat, surrounded by other football lovers - some genuine, others just keeping up with the football mood! 

It was a good game. I definitely would have liked a South American win. Firstly, I love the flair and style of South American football, secondly, I was still sore about Germany beating my team, and lastly, a few special people I know love Argentina! A big part of me was therefore disappointed with their loss. 

But it all came down to Germany taking the opportunities they got! Argentina should have been ahead at least three times through the game. It was a pity they didn't convert some very obvious chances! The game was intense and the teams were well matched. What was disappointing was how easily Argentina lost the ball after battling for possession. But boy, did they keep their heads through most of the pressure moments! Germany was clinical and waited for that moment where they could catch Argentina unaware. Their win was professional. My critique for Germany is that while they played like well-oiled machines, they do not have enough aaaah moments! But technical precision, perhaps has a charm of its own, and Germany won fair and square. 

But yes, the referees need to go back to school!For now, I will leave the die-hard fans to enjoy their teams victory. I will empathise with the Argentinian & Brazilian fans who have had their hearts broken. I will wait for 2018, so I can go through this entire cycle again & watch Brazil lift the cup! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment