Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Humbled and humble in defeat

I've been out of action with a flu this last weekend. While I watched the quarter final matches, I wasn't able to write about them.

I'm still out of action - because of a flu and a broken heart. Brazil have lost their semi final. With Neymar out, and Thiago Silva suspended, it was always going to be a tough game. But, like most of the world, I was expecting a tight match and in my case, hoping for a Brazil win. 

7 - 1 was the final score. This is probably worse than the defeat to Uruguay, at the Maracana. 

Today, I'm not capable of discussing the match: what went wrong, or right. Firstly, at 1-0 something told me it would be the end, and I stopped watching (spared myself some grief). Secondly, because I'm too sad to care. Everyone knows things went wrong. Very wrong. 

This post is for the fans, and for the Seleção themselves. Right here and now, I have to say that as sad and unhappy as I am, I still love the Brazil football team. I bet there are fans out there, right now, depressed, angry (some extremely so, and doing rash things because of it) and I empathise! I so so empathise. 

And this loss will make history. It will be one of those games that you will never hear the end of, especially since it is the worst defeat Brazil has ever had! Come 2055 (if that is even a world cup year) people will be talking about this humiliating defeat! As a fan, you have to be as prepared for that. For any current, or future Brazilian player.... ... ... God speed!

And as I write this post, trying to hold back my tears, I'm feeling sadder than ever for the Seleção. But as much as I feel battered, I am so proud of the humility of the team. I have just read some of the comments from team members and Scolari himself. The Brazil team has heart! I truly am sorry they fell apart and failed on the pitch tonight... but perhaps one has to lose painfully to win triumphantly (shrug!)

And. .. This is to console myself and anyone else who needs consolation (there must be millions out there!) 5 world cups still belong to us! And remember, it did take 34 years between 4 &5!

P.s. Some coping tips: 
Stay away from the TV, the sports section and possibly the cover page of newspapers for the next two weeks. Eventually reading about this loss will be do-able, if not less painful.

Yes, you may want to keep off twitter and fb....

For those of us who have friends who would like to rub it in, or even worse sympathise (not empathise), you have a few options: cry and don't say a word. Shrug it off and hide your pain. Refuse to get into an argument....and when their teams lose, laugh hard (just kidding. .. football is too serious to be used to bait and tease! )

With this, I bid everyone goodnight... If I have the strength and will, I may write about the rest of the games......

No comments:

Post a Comment