Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Imagination





I gawked at everyone in growing panic,
Could this have been a case of veiled magic?

I made a valiant effort to speak,
Masterfully fling a magical word or two from my brain,
The prospect of success blatantly bleak,
My mind and mouth dumb, held captive by an unseen metal chain. 

In sheer panic I ran,
Far away from the waiting crowd, I ran.

At last I was in my garden,
Distressed I fell to the ground,
There was no one here to see me, or offer a pardon
And my tears flowed incessantly, making no sound, 

Oh, what was I to do?
I knew I had to speak at the to-do!

That’s when I saw the glass jar, 
“Oh!” I exclaimed; my tears ceasing abruptly, 
I recognised the tiny person in it from afar, 
I crawled to her; she tapped the jar sharply. 

How could I be in there, 
And also out here?

I picked up the jar delicately, 
And I lifted my eyes to ponder, 
Almost hesitantly, 
She did the same - this mini me - what a wonder!

Without much thought, 
I unscrewed the top and held my breath taut.

“Do you know who I am?” she piqued
I simply blinked.
“You trapped me in here, you know!” 
I said to myself, “What a blow”

“Are... Are you me?”
“Well, yes and no…. Don’t you see?”

I must admit I was in the dark, 
Cross legged I sat and waited for her remark. 
Still inside her prison, 
She walked to and fro, muttering a dime a dozen.

“I am your imagination,” she declared at last.
I stared at her aghast...

“We had golden times together, you and I.
We frolicked in the winds of Heaven.
We sang with fairies in mountains high, 
We swam with dolphins: one,two, maybe seven”

I recalled those days of fun, 
When I had won a battle with no gun!

“Magical stories we weaved, 
Grand adventures we told
At times, people around us were peeved
Other times, they heard our tales of the ever bold”

I lifted her out of her prison and placed her on my shoulder, 
I remembered her fondly, my companion and mighty upholder.

“How did I lose you?” I asked
And how did I leave her trapped?
My problem was unmasked
No wonder brain and speech were grimly wrapped.

“One day you wrote a book; We had the best time drafting it out.
It was published. People loved it. There was an instant sell-out”

I smiled at the vivid memory, 
Place to place I had travelled, 
And all that followed was glory.
The joy of success unravelled

“Soon you forgot me,you were too busy for a flight of imagination.
Sad and weary of neglect, I sought out my own fairy nation”

A purple haired witch, full of promises, bright as a star,
Showed me a golden dream of us together again, 
She wooed me with words, and walked me into the jar: 
“Here you shall rest,” she declared, “until she meets you again!” 

“And so I waited, hours and days, thrilled with your every appearance.
Yet, you never stayed long, and I grew more despondent with every disappearance.”

How cruel I felt as I hugged my friend to my heart,
I vowed to never leave her alone and forsaken 
I saw her smile and meld into my heart,
I stood up bravely and felt my soul awaken

I was in front of them again, and I told my tale, 
Of losing my friend, imagination, in a fairy tale. 

They listened to my words, fully engrossed, 
My eyes shined with the joy of it all, 
And I could have sworn, when they rose to applaud, 
I saw a purple haired fairy fly anon

No comments:

Post a Comment